Saturday, December 1, 2012

ID Challenge #4


Wow, it’s been a long time since we’ve had an ID Challenge! Here’s a close-up of some mystery odonate which is found in the Pacific Northwest (or parts there of). Where else does it occur? I’m not saying. If you’re familiar with the species, it ought to be pretty easy. If you’re not familiar with it, it’ll take a bit of research.

Leave a comment to let me know what you think it is. Comment moderation will be turned on until I post the answer, so they will not be visible in the mean time.

Have fun!


Postscript, 6 December 2012

This challenge is now closed. The answer with a complete discussion is here.


13 comments:

  1. Female Bison Snaketail! Love the horns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The closely spaced occipital horns suggest a female Bison Snaketail (Ophiogomphus bison)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sinuous Snaketail? . . . do the occipital horns break off at maturity? I can't see them in my photos (although I don't quite have this tight of a close up)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm betting Ophiogomphus, most likely occidentis, female.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm just happy I'm close! I don't know my gomphid adults at all...

      Delete
  5. Ophiogomphus bison / Bison Snaketail? Never saw one or any snaketails, so it's my best guess.

    Jeanne, Las Vegas NV

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah Jim, that's a neighbor of mine, always horny!!
    KBiggs

    ReplyDelete